It's fun to share with people our journey to Homer. I can count a handful of times that I've been able to respond, "That's right; we got hitched and arrived in Homer 2 days later." People kind of give us the You-guys-are-crazy look. These people know what YWAM is. They are familiar with the community living situations and the intensity of the training process. After a few minutes of processing it, though, they come around and seem to confirm what God told us. "What a good way to start a marriage. Start with God."
I cannot honestly tell you that our 10 hour honeymoon was all I desired. (I'm sure I speak for Matt, too.) I would have liked to have my new husband all to myself for a few more days, at least. Yet, At the same time, I was excited about the adventure God had ahead of us. We've been here and married for over a month now. We've adjusted to our new lifestyle quite well and although the community living stuff makes it hard to act like newlyweds, we're learning how to make it work. We are honestly happy and satisfied. Although we let go of the standard honeymoon desire months before our wedding day, God didn't. God honors the good desires of our hearts. We serve a generous God--One who gives us all we need, and then some. This weekend, God poured his blessings over us!
The fun started Saturday with Matt's unexpected invitation to go ice fishing for silver salmon and rainbow trout on a local Alaskan lake. Although it was a cold day and people don't use ice-houses, they didn't have to stay out all day to catch their limits. It only took an hour for four guys to snag 40 salmon on the first lake, and another hour to catch their limit of 20 trout (5 each) on the second lake. Matt came home, and didn't even have a chance to clean up before we received the next blessing.
Like I said before, we let go of our desire for that 'normal' honeymoon, but God didn't. Saturday night, we were taken to a local Bed and Breakfast to spend the rest of the weekend together. We arrived on a clear night and the stars were countless. Although it was dark, we could hear waves crashing on shore nearby. And the view that next morning from our huge picture window nearly brought me to tears: Mountains, ocean, and a colorful sunrise-sky. We were staying at an ocean front bed and breakfast! WOW!!!
It's not over yet. On behalf of Valentines day, we were invited to a local couple's house for a Valentine's day dinner Sunday night. The craziest part is that we had never met this couple. They heard about us and just wanted to bless us.
God is good and faithful and loves to pour out His love on us. All we have to do is chose to receive it, which is a lesson both Matt and I seem to be learning.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment